Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Turkey Burgers and Sweet Potato Chips

I love turkey burgers. And the best ones are homemade. And in my opinion (and a few other that have also told me so), I make the best turkey burger out there. The secret? Add enough stuff to the meat until it just doesn't smell like meat. Ha. I usually have at least a half dozen or so in the freezer ready to go when I just don't feel like cooking.

And my sweet potato chips.... I'm finally learning to eat hot orange food. I know that sounds wierd, but I've never been able to stomach things like pumpkin related items, anything sweet potato, cooked carrots, etc. But a coworker ordered some sweet potato fries from a take out place that we frequent, dn you know what? They weren't so bad. So I decided to try it out. I made chips, instead of fries, but its all the same in the end.

The Best Turkey Burger
1 egg white or 1/4 cup egg substitute
1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs*
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp Teriyaki sauce
2 Tbsp fresh parsley
2 garlic cloves, minced
20 ounces 93% lean ground turkey

*If you want to keep the burgers "core", then sub the breadcrumbs for oatmeal and add a dash of a few seasonings like onion powder and dried parsley.

Mix first 6 ingredients in a bowl until well blended. Mix ground meat into egg mixture, just until mixed being careful not to overmix (or else you'll wind up with tough burgers).

Shape into 6 patties. Grill or freeze promptly.

WW info: 3 points per burger (does not include bun)

----------

Sweet Potato Chips
1 large sweet potato
olive oil non stick cooking spray
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp dried rosemary

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Peel potato and slice thin (a mandolin is recommended). Toss in a bowl with seasonings and a few sprays of cooking spray. Lay flat on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes. Flip chips and continue to bake until crispy (about 10 minutes). Length of time for baking will vary depending on how thin your potato is sliced.

Yields 2 servings.

WW info:
1 point per serving (based on 4 oz of potato)

No comments: